A rank to live and die with!!
Army offers you satisfaction in totality. You may not have money to flaunt, but you will carry a pride over your shoulders. You can get a fat pay packet in a corporate job, but army offers you an. unmatched lifestyle is the answer. The attributes that one expects from a satisfying profession,army offers you all this:-
- Professional Advancement
- Job Satisfaction
- Job Security.
- Economic Stability
- Social Status
- Quality of Life
- Variety and Adventure
i. Professional Advancement
The promotional avenues available to an Army officer are:-
- By Time Scale
- Lieutenant Colonel
- By Selection
- Major General
- Lieutenant General
ii. JOB SATISFACTION
Lack of job satisfaction leads to tremendous frustration and results in job-hopping. Jobs in the civil world whether with the government or the corporate leave one with no alternate avenues if stuck with a frustrating portfolio or set up. On the contrary, the sheer variety, sense of purpose, responsibility and pride, negate any job dissatisfaction in the Army.
iii. JOB SECURITY
For an effective career, a long-term strategy is essential and this is possible only if continuity and job security is assured. The Army has been structured to ensure that its personnel work with unhindered dignity. Additionally, statutory rules and regulations exist to safeguard the interests of the servicemen adequately both while in service and after retirement.
FOREIGN COURSES AND POSTINGS.
The service also offers opportunity for courses and postings abroad. The India Army is renowned all over the world and interaction with foreign armies is extensive. Service with UN Forces provides exposure and travel opportunities across the globe.
iv. ECONOMIC STABILITY
Consequent to the Sixth Pay Commission salaries have shot up. While the pay and the allowances of an Army officer may superficially appear to be at par with other Central government services, and may be less than that offered by the corporate sector, the quality of life and non-inflationary nature of the perks, which the Army offers outshine the other services. Government job entitles you to many hidden perks, which you may NOT quantify while calculating remuneration. Apparently, there are about 61 types of facilities, benefits and allowances that are applicable to Army in general.
- STARTING PAY RS 15600/- to 39100/-PM
- GRADE PAY RS 5400/-
- MILITARY SERVICE PAY RS 6000/-
- KIT MAINTENANCE ALLOWANCE Rs 400/-pm
- TRANSPORT ALLOWANCE RS 1600/- PM to RS 3200 pm/-
- FIELD AREA ALLOWANCE RS 25% of Basic Pay RS6780/- pm
- COUNTER INSURGENCY RS 6300/- PM
- HIGH ALTITUDE/UNCONGENIAL CLIMATE RS 5600/- PM
- SIACHEN RS 14000/- PM
- FLYING PAY RS 9000/- PM
- PARACHUTE PAY RS 1200/- PM
- SPECIAL FORCES RS 9000/- PM
- GALLANTRY AWARDS
- TECHNICAL PAY
- LIFE LONG PENSION
- QUALIFICATION PAY/ GRANT FOR SERVICE COURSES RS 6000/- PM TO RS 20000/- PM
- OUTFIT ALLOWANCE RENEWED EVERY THREE YEARS RS 14000/- INITIAL & RS 3000/-
- ENTITLED RATIONS
- ANNUAL LEAVE TWO MONTHS & CASUAL LEAVE 20 DAYS
- 50% CONCESSION ON AIR TRAVEL
- FREE TRAIN TRAVEL ONCE A YEAR AND SUBSIDY FOR OTHER JOURNEYS, LTC
- FREE MEDICAL- SELF AND FAMILY IN WELL EQUIPPED MILITARY HOSPITALS
- SUBSIDISED HOUSING IN CLEAN CANTONMENTS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY
- CANTEEN FACILITIES FOR SUBSIDISED PURCHASE OF ITEMS INCLUDING CARS AND ACs
- INSURANCE COVER FOR RS 15 LAKHS AT SUBSIDISED PREMIUM
- GROUP HOUSING SCHEMES IN CITIES INCLUDING METROS
- LOW INTEREST LOANS
- SEPERATED FAMILY ACCOMMODATION IN CHOICE STATIONS.
- ENCASHMENT OF LEAVE UPTO 300 DAYS AT LAST PAY DRAWN.
- STUDY LEAVE UPTO 2 YEARS WITH FULL PAY AND ALL BENEFITS
- FOREIGN POSTINGS
The above are entitled as per service conditions and qualifications acquired. Cadets at the IMA, OTA, Cadet Training Wing at CME, MCME, and MCTE get a fixed stipend of RS 21000/- PM.
POST RETIREMENT BENEFITS
- PENSION AT 50% OF LAST PAY DRAWN
- DEATH CUM RETIREMENT GRATUITY
- FREE MEDICAL TREATMENT INCLUDING DEPENDANTS
- CANTEEN FACILITIES AS BEFORE
- INSURANCE COVER
- RESETTLEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- MBA PROGRAMME FOR RETIRED OFFRS
TRAINING PROGRAMME (OFFRS)
Training for preparing retiring/retired officers for their resettlement in civil life is one of the major functions entrusted to the DGR. The resettlement training courses provide nationally/internationally accepted certification to facilitate officers to get quick employment within/outside the country. In addition six months courses being conducted at reputed B Schools (IIMs – Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Bangalore, Indore, XLRI Jamshedpur, MDI Gurgaon, NMIMS Mumbai. These courses have received an overwhelming response from officers and resulted in good job placements in the corporate sector. Other courses are being conducted in multifarious fields like Information Technology, Security Services, Entrepreneurship Development, Business Administration, Personnel Management, Hotel Management, Tourism, Human Resources Development, Law, Insurance and many other short term courses on miscellaneous subjects. Constant endeavor is made to improve the quality of training by regular monitoring.
If the above were to be worked out in tangible terms it would add up to an amount that no private firm would be either capable of, or willing to pay.
The Army affords a very open, impartial and transparent avenue for professional enhancement. For a professionally dedicated officer with sincerity and dedication, the sky is the limit. Salient aspects of professional enhancement are as follows:-
- Opportunity for higher study in prestigious institutions both in India and abroad
- Deputation in various scientific institutions in the country including DRDO, DGQA, LRDE, BEL, ITI and host of others
- Foreign assignments in the UNO and Indian embassies/missions
- Foreign assignments in connection with the procurement of advanced technology and weaponry and training to handle and maintain the same
- Promotions solely based on capability and free of any extraneous consideration
v. SOCIAL STATUS
IN SERVICE All of us have our own opinion about what constitutes “social status”. However it is an undisputed fact that the status of a ‘warrior’ has stood the test of time. History and society have both held the soldier in esteem and offered him a unique status in society. By joining the Army, one becomes a member of an exclusive and elite brotherhood, which is the envy of one and all.
Even after laying down the uniform, Army officers continue to have the status of the most respected citizens of our country. This added to their ingrained code of conduct and ethical values enable them to occupy a special social niche in society. Since he is much fitter due to the active lifestyle he has led, a second career or lateral absorption in parallel employment is always eminently feasible. His do or die attitude and mental agility ensures that he never really grows into old age, but continues to contribute and thus remain a valued member of society.
iv. QUALITY OF LIFE
As an Indian Army officer at 21, you’d be looking at a lifestyle that one cannot imagine in any other profession, so early in life. Some of the intangibles, which go to make the quality of life in the Army, are:-
- Service of the motherland.
- A profession to be proud of
- Opportunity to travel and know the country and its people/culture/flora and fauna
- Opportunity to serve and represent the nation abroad
- A pure and noble profession
- Honour and social status
- No stagnation, a new challenge every day.
- Opportunity for growth
- Sports and adventure activity
- Messes, clubs and institutions facilities
- Education facilities – Both school and professional colleges for children
- AWWA hostel for girls in metros
- Army ensures your physical and mental health.
- (Quality of life ensured not only for officers, but also families.
iiv. VARIETY AND ADVENTURES
Variety and adventure are the spice and romance of life. No profession has the kind of recreational and adventure facilities to offer as the Army does; from membership of the best clubs in country to horse riding, swimming, golfing, mountaineering, trekking and sailing. Posting to exotic stations gives one an opportunity to see India and its different cultures, in all its vivid glory. You may also get a chance to go abroad on course or on posting. So, if one is looking for a profession, which goes beyond being a mere job, accept the challenge and join the Indian Army.